The first record of Thomas Wilkinson was in 1822, when he was working in Meadow Street. This company presented Queen Victoria with a pair of filed and enameled decorative scissors in 1838, and received a Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on 16th October 1840. By 1845 the business had moved to New Church Street and Thomas’s son George had joined the business and was making his own mark. Building on their reputation of having a royal appointment, George helped to organise the Sheffield Pavilion at the Great Exhibition in 1851. Thomas Wilkinson & Sons won a medal for their display of scissors at the Great Exhibition, which included replicas of scissors made for the royal household, including the 1838 presentation pair. It was in 1875 that the scissor making company William Whiteley & Sons acquired the business; William Whiteley is still manufacturing scissors today from a state of the art unit in Holbrook.