Thomas Turner was founded in 1802 and granted a mark by the Cutlers’ Company in 1805 of ‘three diamonds with a peppercorn and the word “ENCORE” underneath’. They were located at the Suffolk Works, which fronted onto Suffolk Street and were bound by Turner Street, and the Porter Brook and River Sheaf which gave the impression that the works were on an island. In 1902 the firm’s senior partner Albert Hobson became Master Cutler, and the firm published a souvenir booklet called Handicrafts that Survive. It promoted the fact that in Thomas Turner & Co., and Sheffield generally, ‘still handicrafts…survive and in no other industrial centre in the land can they be sought for more successfully than in the city of Sheffield.’
The company went bankrupt in 1932 and was taken over by Viners Ltd., which ran it as a separate company under the leadership of Rueben Viner until 1952, when it was finally absorbed into Viners.